Former President Goodluck Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau after being trapped by the political developments in the West African nation.
The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, made this known in an interview with journalists in Abuja.
Ebienfa revealed that Jonathan departed the country aboard a special flight.
He added that the former president left alongside members of his delegation, including senior diplomat Ibn Chambas.
“Former President Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau,” he said. “He left with a special flight with members of his delegation including Ibn Chambas.”
Earlier on Thursday, Nigerian House of Representatives has made a call for immediate diplomatic intervention to secure the safe return of Jonathan, who was trapped in Guinea-Bissau after a military coup.
The development unfolded just days after the West African nation held its presidential election, which Jonathan was observing as the head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) mission.
Jonathan, a respected international peace envoy, found himself among dozens of African leaders and election observers from the African Union (AU) and ECOWAS stranded in Guinea-Bissau after military officers announced they had seized power on Wednesday.
The coup plotters immediately shut down the country’s land, sea, and air borders, effectively trapping the delegation in the capital, Bissau.
Pan-Atlantic Kompass reports that Jonathan is part of a 36-member joint election observation mission of the African Union (AU), ECOWAS, and the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) deployed to monitor Sunday’s presidential election.
However, as citizens await the election results, Guinea-Bissau’s presidential military office, General Denis N’Canha, announced that a command “composed of all branches of the armed forces” had taken over leadership of the country until further notice.
The development meant Jonathan was trapped in Guinea-Bissau.
Reacting to the development during Thursday’s plenary, Deputy Speaker Benjamin Kalu drew attention to what he described as “an urgent matter” requiring the House’s intervention.
The Leader of the House, Julius Ihonvbere, who took the floor thereafter, informed lawmakers that Jonathan was in the country on an international election observation assignment when the military takeover occurred.
He highlighted the former president’s vast election-monitoring experience across Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ghana, Mozambique, Pakistan, Tanzania, and South Africa, undertaken on behalf of ECOWAS, the Commonwealth, the African Union, and Nigeria.
“Currently, he is in Guinea-Bissau due to the coup,” Ihonvbere said, emphasising that although the House was not debating the coup itself, Jonathan’s safety is “a matter of national importance.”
He added that relevant government authorities were aware of the development and were already taking steps to ensure Jonathan’s safe return.
Minority Leader Kingsley Chinda backed the call, stressing Jonathan’s democratic credentials and global engagement.
The lawmaker also noted that other Nigerians caught up in the crisis must be rescued and not overlooked.
“The importance we attach to his life should also apply to every other Nigerian, whether at home or abroad,” Chinda said.
The House subsequently adopted the motion through a voice vote, urging the Federal Government to intensify diplomatic efforts to facilitate Jonathan’s return and prioritise the safety of all Nigerian citizens affected by the unfolding crisis.
ECOWAS, AU blast Guinea-Bissau coup
Meanwhile, ECOWAS and the African Union have jointly condemned the military takeover in Guinea-Bissau and the suspension of the country’s electoral process, describing it as a direct assault on democracy.
In a joint statement on Wednesday, the African Union Election Observation Mission, the ECOWAS Election Observation Mission, and the West African Elders Forum denounced the coup as “a blatant attempt to disrupt the democratic process.”
The statement was signed by Filipe Nyusi, Head of the AU Mission, Issifu Kamara, Head of the ECOWAS Mission, and Goodluck Jonathan, Head of the West African Elders Forum, who all called on the regional blocs to take urgent steps to restore constitutional order.
The observers expressed deep concern that soldiers announced a takeover while the country was awaiting final results from Saturday’s presidential and legislative elections. Both incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló and opposition frontrunner Fernando Dias had already claimed victory.
“Regrettably, this announcement came at a time when the missions had just concluded meetings with the two leading presidential candidates, who assured us of their willingness to accept the will of the people,” the observers lamented.
The AU, ECOWAS, and West African Elders Forum condemned the arrests of senior officials, including electoral commission personnel, insisting they must be released immediately to allow the poll results to be finalised.
“We urge the armed forces to immediately release the detained officials to allow the country’s electoral process to proceed to its conclusion,” the statement said.
