About 175 ISIS fighters have been killed in a series of coordinated air and ground assaults in northeastern Nigeria.
According to official statements from the Nigerian Defence Headquarters (DHQ) and U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM), the 175 ISIS fighters were killed in Nigeria-US counterterrorism operations over the past several days.
The highly synchronized offensive successfully targeted deep-seated insurgent strongholds in the volatile Lake Chad Basin, resulting in the elimination of several high-ranking global commanders.
The intensive campaign, which commenced over the weekend, represents the most significant military collaboration between Abuja and Washington in recent history.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, Sumaila Uba, director of defence information, said the operations, which began a few days ago, were conducted in close coordination with the United States Africa Command (US-AFRICOM) against ISIS terrorists.
“As of 19 May 2026, assessments indicate that 175 ISIS terrorists have been eliminated from the battlefield,” the statement reads.
“The joint strikes have resulted in the destruction of ISIS checkpoints, weapons caches, logistical hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain terrorist operations.
“The operations have also resulted in the elimination of several senior ISIS leaders, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, one of the most significant ISIS operatives in the world.
“Al-Minuki played a central role in ISIS external operations, coordinating terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics, and attack planning targeting Nigerians and innocent civilians around the world. His death severely disrupts ISIS command, operational coordination, and external attack networks.”
Uba added that other key terrorist figures killed during the operations include Abd-al Wahhab, an ISWAP senior leader responsible for coordinating attacks and distributing propaganda; Abu Musa al-Mangawi, a senior ISWAP member; and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior member of the ISWAP media production team and close associate of al-Minuki.
He said the latest operation further demonstrates the long-standing commitment of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to tracking down and eliminating terrorists across the country.
“The joint operations will continue to hunt down and destroy those who threaten our nation and regional stability,” Uba said.
US-AFRICOM has also confirmed the development in an update posted on its X page.
The statement reads: “On May 18, #AFRICOM, conducted counter terrorism efforts in coordination with Nigeria against an ISIS fighter camp in NE Nigeria. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.”
These continued strikes come after the U.S President Donald Trump announced that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, ISIS’s second-in-command, had been killed in Nigeria last Friday.
Trump said al-Minuki was killed in a “complex mission” carried out by Nigerian and American troops.
The U.S president shared updates of the operation in a social media post in the wee hours of Saturday.
President Bola Tinubu has also announced the killing of Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki during a joint operation carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in the Lake Chad Basin.
In a statement personally signed on Saturday, Tinubu stated that the operation marked “a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism” between the two countries.
