Former President Goodluck Jonathan has picked up the 2027 presidential forms under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
It was gathered that Jonathan, a former Bayelsa State governor has already obtained the party’s nomination form ahead of the party’s primary election.
Jonathan picked the 2027 presidential forms under the faction of the PDP led by Kabiru Turaki and backed by Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State.
Already, the factional PDP has announced Jonathan as the party’s sole presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections.
A member of the faction’s presidential screening committee, Babangida Aliyu, announced on Tuesday during the screening exercise for aspirants in Abuja.
Aliyu said the former president was granted a waiver from appearing before the screening committee because of his previous experience in public office, which, according to him, automatically qualified him for the election.
“The party had already given our presidential aspirant the waiver, as I said in the beginning that he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, became president so we didn’t see anything that needed screening, and therefore the party had given him a waiver.
“In other words, he had been declared and cleared as the candidate of the PDP for the presidential election and that is President Jonathan,” he said.
As Jonathan picked the 2027 presidential forms, he is said to contest against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC)’s Peter Obi, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar who is expected to fly the flag of Africa Democratic Congress (ADC), and other leading political figures expected to vie for the presidency in 2027.
Speaking also during an appearance on Trust TV, Umar Sani, a former Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to ex-Vice President Namadi Sambo, confirmed that Jonathan will be contesting the 2027 presidential election.
He addressed the ongoing legal challenge questioning Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again, insisting the matter has already been resolved by judicial precedent.
“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” he said.
He maintained that only the Supreme Court could overturn earlier rulings on the issue, expressing confidence that the suit before Justice Peter Lifu would be struck out when it comes up on May 26.
The PDP chieftain’s remarks come amid renewed speculation and political consultations involving Jonathan, who has in recent months been linked with behind-the-scenes engagements with key political actors.
While Jonathan is yet to publicly declare any presidential ambition, Sani insisted that his actions already point to active preparation for the 2027 race.
“In politics, what matters is action. If you are interested, you can follow the required processes, including obtaining nomination forms. He has done that,” he said.
Sani reiterated that Jonathan had not only obtained the form but was also preparing for its public submission.
“Yes, and in fact, he is about to come and submit the form publicly,” he added.
He dismissed claims that Jonathan’s name was being used for political speculation, arguing that the former president continues to enjoy strong public goodwill.
“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. Many compare his time in office with current realities,” he said.
Jonathan, who served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015, has remained largely outside partisan politics since his defeat in the 2015 election, focusing instead on mediation, diplomacy, and peace-building efforts across Africa.
