Another West African nation has been plunged into fresh political turmoil after the Military seized power in Guinea-Bissau on Wednesday.
The Military officers announced on Wednesday that they have taken “total control” of the country and ordered the immediate suspension of the electoral process.
This move comes just days after a presidential and legislative election and ahead of the expected announcement of official results.
Reports of heavy gunfire erupted across Bissau, the capital, on Wednesday, specifically near the presidential palace, the National Electoral Commission (CNE) headquarters, and the Interior Ministry.
Hours later, the sitting president, Umaro Sissoco Embaló, told a major publication that he had been arrested at the presidential palace in what he explicitly called a “coup d’état” led by the army chief of staff. Several senior government and security officials were also reportedly detained.
Also, General Denis N’Canha, head of the presidential military office, told members of the press that Milhas seized power in Guinea-Bissau.
N’Canha also revealed that a command “composed of all branches of the armed forces, was taking over the leadership of the country until further notice”.
He read the announcement seated at a table and surrounded by armed soldiers.
Incumbent president Embalo, who had been favoured to win Sunday’s election, was inside a building behind military headquarters, “with the chief of staff and the minister of the interior,” a senior officer told the press.
Embalo and opposition candidate Fernando Dias had already each declared victory in the presidential race, with official provisional results expected Thursday.
N’Canha, in his declaration, claimed to have uncovered a plan to destabilise the country “involving national drug lords” that had included “the introduction of weapons into the country to alter the constitutional order”.
In addition to halting “the entire electoral process”, he said military forces had suspended “all media programming” and imposed a mandatory curfew.
Since gaining independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau has suffered at least nine coups or attempted coups, making it one of the most politically volatile nations in West Africa. President Embaló himself had claimed to survive at least two previous attempts during his term and had dissolved the parliament in 2023 following alleged coup attempts.
More than 6,780 security forces, including those from the Economic Community of West African States Stabilisation Force, were deployed for Guinea-Bissau’s vote and the post-election period.
The country’s last presidential vote in 2019 was marked by a four-month post-election crisis as both main candidates claimed victory.
The election had pitted Embalo against Domingos Simoes Pereira, the candidate from the country’s main opposition party, PAIGC, which secured Guinea-Bissau’s independence from Portugal in 1974.
The country’s 2025 election notably excluded PAIGC and Pereira, who were struck from the final list of candidates and parties by the Supreme Court, which said they had filed their official applications too late.
In 2023, Embalo dissolved the legislature — which was dominated by the opposition — and has since ruled by decree.
The opposition says PAIGC’s exclusion from the presidential and parliamentary elections amounts to “manipulation” and maintains that Embalo’s term expired on February 27, five years to the day after his inauguration.
Pan-Atlantic Kompass reports that the development seeing Military seized power in Guinea-Bissau the African continent has recently seen an increase in military takeovers, particularly in West and Central Africa.
Madagascar (October 2025): Elite army units ousted President Andry Rajoelina following weeks of protests over various issues including corruption and power failures.
Gabon (August 2023): Military officials seized power and placed President Ali Bongo Ondimba under house arrest shortly after he was declared the winner of an election widely seen as non-competitive, ending his family’s more than five-decade rule.
Niger (July 2023): The country’s presidential guard detained President Mohamed Bazoum, leading to a coup d’état led by General Abdourahamane Tchiani
